In this article we will explore some of the most effective home remedies for sore throats. A sore throat is a common condition that often accompanies a cold and can be caused by either a virus or bad bacteria living in the throat. Other causes of sore throats include dry heat, smoking, and allergic reactions.
There are several natural cures, which can successfully combat a sore throat and provide relief from this painful and uncomfortable ailment.
8 Of The Best Home Remedies For Sore Throats
- Gargle with Saltwater: Salt is extremely helpful as it helps to draw water away from the inflamed mucous membranes of the throat. It has antiseptic properties to combat bacteria and helps to clear phlegm. Stir half a teaspoon of salt into a glass of warm water, gargle and spit out.? Repeat the procedure up to 4 times a day until the sore throat has improved.
- Gargle with Cider Vinegar: Make a gargling solution by mixing half a teaspoon of salt with apple cider vinegar and warm water. Gargle the mixture several times a day. You can also make a drink using apple cider vinegar by adding 2 tbsp to a cup of warm water. Drinking this slowly will also provide relief from a sore throat as apple cider vinegar has antibacterial properties.
- Mix honey into a hot drink: Honey has antibacterial properties to help heal your sore throat quickly. It also helps to draw water away from swollen tissue. Add 1 tablespoon of honey to a cup of tea or hot water and drink several times a day.
- Drink a herbal tea: There are several herbal teas which can alleviate a sore throat. Marshmallow root is one of the great home remedies for sore throats because it contains something called mucilage. This coats the throat and protects it from further irritation or damage, allowing it to heal.? Steep 2 teaspoons of the herb in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes and drink 3-4 cups a day. Slippery elm works in a similar way to marshmallow root as it also contains mucilage. Mix 1 teaspoon of the inner bark in a cup of boiling water. Raspberry leaf tea is one of the underrated home remedies for sore throats. Boil 1 teaspoon of raspberry leaves in a cup of water and drink several times a day.
- Use citrus fruit: Make lemon juice by mixing 1 tablespoon of honey & lemon juice in warm water. Lime juice is made in the same way. Drink 2-3 cups a day. It is also advisable to take a vitamin C supplement to enhance the immune system and avoid infection during winter.
- Suck on garlic: This may not be one of the favourite home remedies for sore throats! However raw garlic is very good at fighting colds, flu and sore throats because it contains something called ?allicin?. This is only released when the garlic is cut and is strongly antibacterial and antiviral.? If you can?t face eating raw garlic on its own then try mixing it with freshly cut tomatoes as a topping for bruschetta.
- Drink plenty of liquids: When treating a sore throat it is key to remain hydrated, one of the most important messages when looking at home remedies for sore throats. Drinking warm liquids such a tea, milk or hot lemonade all help to coat the throat, which will reduce discomfort.
- Use a steam tent: Lean over a bowl of hot (not boiling) water and cover your head with a towel.? The steam will open up the nasal passages and help to clear any mucous.
I do hope that you have found this article useful and as you will have read, there are many natural remedies for a Sore Throat that you can try. Please feel free to like, share or comment on this article.