In this blog post we will explore the various health benefits of walnuts. These nuts are packed full of nutrients and each offers a different health benefit. The nutritional benefits are greatest when they are consumed with the skin (i.e. in whole form).
Walnuts belong to the tree nut family, which includes brazil nuts, hazelnuts, pine nuts, cashews and pistachios. Each nut offers particular health benefits but walnuts are quite unique in that they contain primarily polyunsaturated fats. They also contain a significant amount of alpha lineolic acid or ALA. This is an essential Omega 3, which the body cannot make and needs to be gained from diet.
Top 5 Health Benefits Of Walnuts
- Helps maintain a healthy heart and circulation:Walnuts are quite unique in that the fat they contain is mainly polyunsaturated. They do not contain any cholesterol and therefore their consumption can help to reduce levels of LDL cholesterol, which, in turn can help to prevent heart disease. They also have high levels of vitamin E (Gamma tocopherol), which has been proven to deliver considerable defence from cardiovascular issues. The Omega 3 fatty acids in walnuts lessen the likelihood of erratic heart rhythms and enhance blood vessels so that blood is less prone to clot.
- Can help in the fight against cancer: One of the best health benefits of walnuts is that they have been proven to be effective in slowing cancer growth. This is due to their anti-inflammatory ingredients, which include Vitamin E, Omega 3 and powerful antioxidants. These inhibit the spread of free radicals and slow malignant cell growth. Some studies have proven a clear link between moderate daily consumption of walnuts and a reduction in the growth of some prostate cancers.
- Boosts memory function: As walnuts contain high amounts of alpha lineolic acid (an Omega 3 essential fatty acid), they contribute to significant improvements in the way that the brain and memory operates, even when consumed in small amounts. They have been proven to improve general cognition and memory.
- Great for skin and hair: The health benefits of walnuts appear to influence many different areas of the body, both internally and externally. The minerals contained in walnuts include manganese, copper, potassium, calcium and iron and these are helpful in promoting balanced and glowing skin. This is further helped by the B vitamins (including biotin) and antioxidants, which counteract free radical damage and help to prevent wrinkles! These ingredients also help to strengthen hair, reduce the amount that falls out and increase the rate of hair growth.
- Can help to lose weight as part of a varied diet: People sometimes avoid eating nuts if they are trying to lose weight, due to their high fat content. However, the fats contained within walnuts are mainly polyunsaturated, which is a ‘good’ type of fat that the body needs. They also make you feel full, which means that you can control portion sizes more easily.
Health Benefits Of Walnuts Video
(Walnut image from freedigitalphotos.net).
In summary, the health benefits of walnuts are extensive and can be obtained by consuming just 1oz of walnuts a day.