Most of us have, at some point in our lives, been affected by acne. It is estimated that over 80% of people aged between 11 and 30 will have acne, although for some it can strike at an even later age. There are thousands of treatments out there for acne, after all it is big business, as people will pay significant sums of money for a product that promises to erase their nemesis once and for all!
So where does coconut oil for acne fit in to this discussion? Extra virgin coconut oil is a very pure product and has been used successfully by many to cure their acne and improve the overall appearance of the skin. The first thing to remember is that it is a naturally derived oil, and unlike many of the chemical treatments available, it will not dry out or further damage the skin.
6 Benefits of Coconut Oil for Acne
1. Contains powerful anti-microbial ingredients – Coconut oil is known to contain Capric Acid and Lauric Acid. These acids have very high anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. When coconut oil is applied to the skin, these acids help to replace the protective layer on the skin and fight spot-causing bacteria.
2. Rich source of Vitamin E – Using coconut oil for acne is beneficial because it contains potent Vitamin E, which is known as an effective skin healer. Vitamin E is an antioxidant, which means that it neutralises damage from free radicals, which can cause premature ageing and wrinkles. Unfortunately the body cannot produce this important nutrient so we need to get vitamin E through our diet. Eating foods rich in Vitamin E such as avocadoes, sweet potatoes and almonds can help.
3. Helps to rid skin of impurities – When you use coconut oil for acne, it penetrates the skin easily and assists in the removal of toxins and impurities. This is really crucial in the successful treatment of acne, as toxins can block the pores and cause acne.
4. Easily absorbed and moisturising – Using coconut oil for acne is not only valuable as a form of treatment but it is also generally very good for the skin. Coconut oil is soothing on the skin, it is absorbed easily and helps to calm any redness or inflammation. It is also an excellent moisturiser, which really helps the skin. Often, conventional acne treatments dry out the skin too much and cause flakiness, so using coconut oil for acne can help to reverse this and give glowing, healthy skin.
5. Can be eaten as part of a healthy diet – This point proves just how versatile this oil is. It is a food substance, which means that you can drink it in smoothies, use it as the base oil for a stir-fry and bake with it to make muffins, for example. Ingesting coconut oil, as well as using it topically, will mean that the recipient will benefit in different ways from this remarkable ingredient.
6. Naturally derived, contains no chemicals or preservatives – Using coconut oil for acne not only has the above benefits, but more importantly, it is a natural product and doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals or preservatives. Often, conventional acne treatments are full of chemicals such as benzoyl peroxide, which can actually be damaging to the skin and leave it overly dry. Extra virgin coconut oil is the best oil to use.
So – can coconut oil help acne? From the information and research presented in this article, the answer would have to be absolutely YES! This is our best recommendation and you can buy it directly from Amazon just by clicking on the image below.